Joey Rox Reneau
How do people from not a English speaking country develop their vocabulary Is it useful to expand vocabulary by reading dictionary ?
2018年8月17日 15:39
6
0
Here are the seven ways to expand your voacabulary and learn new words: 1. READ, READ, and READ. The more you read -- especially novels and literary works, but also magazines and newspapers -- the more words you'll be exposed to. As you read and uncover new words, use a combination of attempting to derive meaning from the context of the sentence as well as from looking up the definition in a dictionary. 2. KEEP A DICTIONARY AND THESAURUS HANDY. Use whatever versions you prefer -- in print, software, or online. When you uncover a new word, look it up in the dictionary to get both its pronunciation and its meaning. Next, go to the thesaurus and find similar words and phrases -- and their opposites (synonyms and antonyms, respectively) -- and learn the nuances among the words. 3. USE A JOURNAL. It's a good idea to keep a running list of the new words you discover so that you can refer back to the list and slowly build them into your everyday vocabulary. Plus, keeping a journal of all your new words can provide positive reinforcement for learning even more words -- especially when you can see how many new words you've already learned. 4. LEARN NEW WORDS. Using a word-a-day calendar or Website -- or developing your own list of words to learn -- is a great technique many people use to learn new words. Don't feel you must learn a new word daily. 5. GO BACK TO YOUR ROOTS. One of the most powerful tools for learning new words -- and for deciphering the meaning of other new words -- is studying Latin and Greek roots. Latin and Greek elements (prefixes, roots, and suffixes) are a significant part of the English language and a great tool for learning new words.
2018年8月17日
Though I am a native English speaker, I thought I'd add 2 cents here. When I worked the Midnight to 7am shift and things were slow, I would play dictionary games with a partner. Randomly choose words and try to guess their meanings. That expanded my vocabulary but isn;t something I'd suggest for anyone below C1 level. On the other hand, selecting a word or topic and then identifying synonyms of that word using a dictionary is helpful when expanding vocabulary in any language. For example, while studying Russian **today**, I was learning weather-related words. A quick look at the list I collected to make Anki flashcards now totals 50 different words. 50! I didn't think I knew 50 weather related-words in English until I made this list! Dictionaries are tools.Just reading the dictionary from cover to cover doesn't seem to be the best use of time for me. It might work for you, though.
2018年8月17日
In my free spare time, I read novels and use multiple sites to enhance my vocabulary but to be honest, I often find myself in a tight corner because remembering everything and using them efficiently in a conversation is not that easy. The only key to developing vocabulary is practice or use them in your daily routine. Instead of reading the Dictionary try to read an advanced/intermediate novel where you may come across with lots of unknown words and then use the dictionary to find the meaning of those words. Using a Dictionary without any context don't make any sense.
2018年8月17日
I think the best way to do this is to use words and also I use other service "Lingualeo" for training a vocabulary :)
2018年8月17日
Practice makes a man perfect so vocabulary may be raised by speaking more and more
2018年8月17日
Joey Rox Reneau
Aromanian, Chinese (Taiwanese), English
Aromanian, English