Darren
Different Spanish uses Which is most common and where? El emparedado or el sándwich' my learning has bothIt seems that some of the online courses and apps use older words that have gone out of fashion
8
1
@Darren: I wrote about how to identify the most frequent word among several options here: https://www.italki.com/discussion/180222 Using the resources mentioned in that post, I found that, for subtitle-based frequencies... Sandwich is word form # 11759 (more common) Emparedado is word form # 17635 (less common) In the RAE list... Sandwich is word form #34917 Emparedado is word form #63959 (twice as rare) This difference between the subtitle-based frequency and RAE frequency tells you that "emparedado" is more often found in movie subtitles, not in actual speech, and even in subtitles, sandwich is more frequently used. Using RAE's corpus search engine reveals that most examples of "emparedado" come from Spain, but many are not in the meaning of "sandwich", but in the meaning of "being between two walls", or "feeling trapped". Searching RAE's corpus for emparedado in the Americas returns very few results, except for Argentina. In my country, it returns none. My personal experience: I have never heard anyone use "emparedado" outside of movie dubs and movie subtitles. It seems to be one of those words that translators use just to avoid using anglicisms. In my country, we say "sánduche", but this word might be considered "uneducated".
Hola Darren! Sándwich suena mucho más natural, "emparedado" suelen decirlo en las caricaturas. Saludos!
Hi Darren: your question is common because, as you've seen in different sources in internet, there's no agree about wich word we Spanish speakers use. I'm from Perú and I live in Spain, so I can tell you something about the uses in these two countries: 1. In Spain is like Sara Martin has told you, there are two words to refer "two peaces of bread with something in the middle" (the meaning is mine). "Sándwich" is used when the kind of bread is "pan de molde" (that kind of bread that is sold in slices in supermarkets, and is soft) and "bocadillo" is used when the kind of bread is "pan de barra" (loaf of bread) or any kind of bread with elongated shape. 2. In Perú, to refer to "two peaces of bread with something in the middle" we say in all the cases "sándwich" (as in Mexico, like cinthiamx and Cesar say), or even "sánguche" (only in Perú as far as I know, but I would like to know if in other countries also).
En España siempre he escuchado sandwich. No suena natural emparedado.
"Sandwich" en México. "Emparedado" no suena natural.
Darren
English, Russian, Spanish
Russian, Spanish