Doris
What should I say to the friend who told me her relative was passed? She is my language exchange partner, who is an American. Practicing together several times, we do not really know each other very well. But yesterday she emailed me her uncle was passed and we needed to arrange our language exchange schedule, I still felt so sorry for her. However, I was not very sure to say what could let her feel better. I tried to google it (<- Haha, kind of funny, right?) and wrote her back shortly: .......... I'm sorry to hear about that. This must be so hard for you. May you take comfort in knowing an angel is watching over you. ........... Does anybody have some good ideas? I hope I can express more than this but still suitable if some of my friends have this kind of situations next time. Thanks a lot.
4
0
Well, I kind of agree with the previous answer. Feel free to speak your mind. You said that you were sorry. You can also add something like I extend my condolences to you. My thoughts and prayers are with you. However, I would not say the last one
Firstly .. emailed me her uncle has passed away .. emailed me her uncle has passed on .. emailed me her uncle died . What you wrote is fine. ("Angel"? If you have some prior knowledge that religious referneces are a good thing to use.) Generally, in Western culture, for most people, feel free to say what you think. . Sorry to hear of your loss. You have already stated this well, so no need for another way to say it. Totally understand that you need to change the schedule during this difficult time. Take all the time you need. Please extend my sympathies to your whole family. (As if you know them, or would like to know them) . Usually advice includes things that are usually wrong for someone. Take it slowly. Take time to grieve. Another thing, you could do, if you wanted to add more, is to ask, rather than advise. How's it affecting you? Were you close? ...
Doris