Camilo Martins
When do use "ever" and "already" correctly? In my language, those two words have the same function. Examples: Did you ever seen one? Yes, I did. The night already began!
Hey Camilo, how are you? I hope you are doing just fine! I shall provide you with information on the proper usage of 'ever' and 'already' in a sentence: 1) ''Ever'' is used in negative sentences, questions, and comparisons to mean 'at any time in the past' or 'at any time in the future'. E.g.: ''Neither of us had ever skied.'' E.g.: ''I don't think I'll ever be homesick here.'' * When it comes to questions, you usually use either the form ''Do you ever...'' or ''Did/Have you ever...'' to ask a person if they experience or (have) experienced a certain situation at any moment/period in their life.'' E.g.: ''Do you ever dream about ghosts?'' E.g.: ''Did they ever get along?'' E.g.: ''Have you ever played football?'' 2) You use ''already'' to say that something 'has happened before now', or that it 'has happened sooner than expected.' When referring to an action, most speakers of British English use a perfect form with 'already.' They put 'already' after 'have', 'has', or 'had', or 'at the end of a clause.' E.g.: ''He had already left when I arrived.'' E.g.: ''I've had tea already, thank you.'' * When it comes to questions, you usually use either the form ''Have you already...'' or ''Did you already...'' to ask a person if they have done that [which you think they should really have done] before the expected time. E.g.: ''Have you already done your homework? E.g.: ''Have you had your breakfast already?'' E.g.: ''Did you already woke up the kids?'' ** Here is another case for you to make a comparison: 1) ''Have you ever read 'The Soldier', by Rupert Brooke?'' = in this case, I wonder whether you had (or not) the experience of reading this very poem at any time in your life. 2) ''Have you already read 'The Soldier', by Rupert Brooke?'' = in this case, I wonder whether you read (or did not read) this very poem (which I think you should have read) before the expected time. Hope you have understood it! :)
I learned the difference with a help of this article. https://www.inglesnapontadalingua.com.br/2009/04/quando-usar-ever-ou-already.html O app postou 2 vezes. Sorry. Não dá pra apagar.
Cara, no teu primeiro exemplo o certo seria usar "have you ever seen..." porque o passado simples implica uma ação específica, num momento específico. In a nutshell, vc usa o ever na pergunta e o already na resposta, caso já tenha visto xyz. Have you ever been to China? No, I've never been to China. Yes, I've been to China three times already.
I learned the difference with a help of this article. https://www.inglesnapontadalingua.com.br/2009/04/quando-usar-ever-ou-already.html
You are welcome, my friend!