sunsun
What does "stroke" mean? Hello! I was reading an article about a famous actress who had an "stroke" when she was younger. I didn't know the meaning of this word so I searched for information on Google but I feel that I didn't completely understand... What's the meaning of "stroke"? It is the same as "derrame cerebral"?
7
0
Hey sunsun, Yes, you are correct! "A Stroke" is considered to be a sudden loss of brain function caused by a blockage or rupture of a blood vessel to the brain, characterized by loss of muscular control, diminution or loss of sensation or consciousness, dizziness, slurred speech, or other symptoms that vary with the extent and severity of the damage to the brain. Also called "cerebral accident", "cerebrovascular accident." Hope that helps!!!
In the case of the article, yes, it means derrame cerebral. I know there's a few more meanings to this word but I've particulaly never seen it applied to a sentence. Here's a link to the Cambridge dictionary explaining the entire meaning of 'stroke': https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pt/dicionario/ingles/stroke I hope it helps.
the above answers are correct for word stoke in the context you mentioned...Someone has/had a stoke Stroke can also mean to pet, or repeatedly run your hand over/across something. "She stroked the cat softly", "she stroked her long hair" It is good to know both meanings to avoid confusion
sunsun