Kseniia
In his cups Hi everyone! Could someone please help me with two expressions? 1) "He's in his cups more than out of them" - am I right thinking that it means that "he" is more often drunk than sober? 2) Could you please have a look at this short video and tell me what exactly she's saying at 0:09? https://tinyurl.com/y7yzyof9 I hear it as "I can fine what you mean" and I believe it means "I understand what you mean" but why "can"?
11
1
1. Yes, it's an old-fashioned idiom meaning 'drunk'. It isn't really used any more. 2. She says "Oh aye, I ken fine what you mean". "Ken" is Scots for 'know'. It's a word which the Outlander writers sprinkle liberally throughout the script to give it some local colour. You'll hear Scots characters in this series given otherwise standard modern English lines, apart from this one word. Be prepared to hear lots of "Ye ken?" and "Ye dinae ken?" if you carry on watching!
1. To be in one's cups is a British expression. It is not used in American English. 2. I had trouble understanding the audio. To me it sounded like, "Uma (the girl's name), I can find what you mean."
1) You are right. To be in one's cups=to be drunk 2) I had some problems with the link((
Kseniia