Camilo Martins
How can I acquire more vocabulary to do a letter? I already know that reading books I will prove in this topic. Could you tell me about another way?
Write the letter in Portuguese then post it in the Notebook section in the community drop down menu above and ask if someone can translate it into English then take note of the words used. Perhaps you may get different translations so you can learn more ways to say something. Other than that find a beginners course in English and build your vocabulary bit by bit. It takes time to learn words.
Something I find helpful for acquiring more vocabulary is making flash cards for objects I see every day. Trying to study lists of words that have no connection to my everyday activities can quickly become tedious and boring, and I find it hard to remember those words. But if I make cards for things I do and see everyday, and then practice with those cards often, I find I remember the vocabulary much faster. Also, I find studying vocabulary for ten or fifteen minutes at a time several times a day tends to be more effective than studying for an hour all at once. And studying a little bit every day is more effective than only once or twice a week. It's really spaced repetition that helps us remember words for the long term. Also, watching television shows and movies in the language you are trying to learn can be very helpful (both with and without subtitles). Basically, the more you read, write, speak, and hear the language, the faster you will learn it.