Lawrence
Community Tutor
Not At All? Hello, Would you like to help me understand this expression? 1. Can I answer thanks with "not at all" in any scenarios? I means I want to know which situation this expression is suitable to be used? Or does this expression imply something more than a simple response? 2. When I used this expression to say NO to others, do you think it is a very strong and rule way to reject?
8
1
If you want to replace 'thanks', you would say 'it's nothing' e.g., "Thanks for all your hard work" "It's nothing (at all)" 'Not at all' is a little different and depends on the context. For example: "I'm sorry, did you have to wait a long time for me?" "No, not at all". There are many more possibilities, examples and contexts but it's tricky and you cannot really substitute 'thanks' for 'not at all' in all situations. Good luck!
It is a polite response to thanks . It also means "no " , a definite emphasized "no" Do you mind ? Not at all .
I don't know if i can answer this in a clear way, but i guess you can use this on phrases/situations that you can replace 'absolutely nothing' For example:- "did you do any of the homeworks from yesterday? - not at all" Well, there is a song of Bruno Mars where he oftenly says this phrase "Nothing at all", sadly, i don't recall the name. I hope you understand what i meant to explain here
Also, as far i lnow, we answer a 'thanks' with 'you're welcome' or 'no problem'
Lawrence