Aud
Pronunciation I am going to work on my English pronunciation and intonation. Do you know any videos or online lessons on it? Recommendations for any community tutors or teachers in private messages are welcomed too. I prefer British English.
20 авг. 2018 г., 5:50
22
1
Several italki members (including me) have recorded themselves for about half a minute and posted the link in the discussion forum. It's a good way to get feedback, and the members who help you will often re-record the text to demonstrate how it should be pronounced. Possible sites for recording include youtube, soundcloud, vocaroo and clyp.it. I'm thinking of trying out Instagram/Facebook stories as well for this. It will help a lot to have a tutor/teacher to guide your pronunciation, especially if the sounds are unfamiliar in your own language. I mean, the tutor/teacher should be able to show you exactly what your mouth must do for each sound and word.
20 августа 2018 г.
Hello Natasha, Your recording at https://vocaroo.com/i/s0WXFmDtWmkg shows a high level of English. Your English is good enough to work in a multinational company where English is the work language. People will understand you just fine, so working on pronunciation is optional, in my opinion. I noticed the following: - The intonation was acceptable for a news broadcast but not quite natural because it was too flat (monotone). Intonation is often hard to master native speakers use changes in intonation to signal focus or new information. - Some words were pronounced with "spelling pronunciation." Unstressed vowels often change to "uh" (schwa). - Some sounds (phonemes) were slightly off. [r] seemed to have a soft [w]-like aspect.
20 августа 2018 г.
Teaching pronunciation is a speciality. Look for a qualified teacher with training in linguistics/phonetics. As Peachey said, they should be able to show you what the mouth should do for each sound. A common training sequence is to accurately hear the sounds (phonemes) of English (about 44 distinct sounds with variations depending on the dialect), to produce the sound in isolation, to produce the sound in common words, to produce the sound when reading a text, and finally to produce the sound during conversation. Additionally, English uses changes in tone to show a statement, a question, or emphasis. Again, a qualified teacher can help.
20 августа 2018 г.
Hi Natasha, I'd really reccomend learning the English International phonetic alphabet. https://elt.oup.com/student/englishfile/preint/c_pronunciation/?cc=us&selLanguage=en Once you learn how to read it you can check the pronunciation in any good dictionary. Beside the word you find the phonetic transcription. I always work on that with my students and it really help them!
20 августа 2018 г.
No, I haven't. Thank you, I'll have a look at it:)
20 августа 2018 г.
Aud
Danish, English, French, German, Norwegian, Russian
Danish, English, French, German, Norwegian