Катя
Which word will be correct to use in this sentence. And why? Thank you I think mountaineering is ... dangerous activity. a. most b.the most c. more
11
1
Hi Катя, "I think mountaineering is ... dangerous activity." Only one activity is mentioned in your sentence. In this context, the blank could be used for (1) an article (e.g. a, an, the) to provide more specificity to your noun (i.e. activity): "I think mountaineering is a dangerous activity." OR (2) a superlative adjective (e.g. the most xxx) since we are comparing a quality or characteristic (i.e. the degree of danger) among more than two things. Since "a" is not found among the four options, we have to assume that a superlative adjective is an appropriate answer. Just as a side discussion, in your sentence, although no other outdoor activities are listed, it is understood that mountaineering is compared with all other outdoor activities in the world. Hence, from this perspective, a superlative adjective is still needed. Answer: I think mountaineering is the most dangerous activity. Another example: Russia is the biggest country in the world. (Here, it is understood that the land area of Russia is compared with every other country in the world. This is a comparison of more than two countries; hence, a superlative adjective is needed.) I hope this helps you.
The correct answer is b. the most. I think mountaineering is THE MOST dangerous activity. 1. 'the most' implies the highest degree, which is called superlative (to compare two or more things). 2. 'more' is used to compare two things. eg.: There are three popular girls in our class. They are Anne, Diane, and Jane. Anne is beautiful. Jane is MORE beautiful than Anne. Diane is THE MOST beautiful of all. 3. 'most' is used to denote amount. e.g.: MOST of them are English learners. Hope they help. Regard, Tere
Most, если имеется в виду чрезвычайно опасный, а не самый опасный. Но тогда нужен неопределенный артикль a. Если самый опасный, тогда the most.
b. the most only coherent answer, grammatically correct
Катя
English, French, Russian