Marco
With the adverb of time "today" I have to use the past simple or the present perfect? For example... is correct "I have worked too much today" or "I worked too much today"?
5
0
Both can be correct depending on whether "today" is unfinished or finished. I have worked hard today, this week, this month, this summer, this year indicates that you view the time period as unfinished. I worked hard yesterday, last week, last month, last summer, last year indicates that you view the time period as finished. I worked hard today is reasonable if said in the evening after work. I worked hard today is bizarre if said at noon.
Just to add to what has already been said, this is also one of those British vs. American English instances. British people tend to use the present perfect where American people show a greater preference for the past simple.
Both are possible depending on the context. If you are still at work then you could use the present perfect because it is not finished and may continue. If the day and work is finished you would use past simple because it is finished. "Today" can be used with both present perfect and past simple depending on the context. Look at the following two sentences. I ate three meals today (I am finished eating). I have eaten three meals (so far) today (I might eat more). The main thing to remember is if it is a finished and completed action in the past you must use the past simple.
Marco
English, German, Italian, Latin, Neapolitan (Napoletano), Portuguese, Spanish