Joey Rox Reneau
How do you remember every new words when you are in your native speaking country People around me all speak Chinese which is my native language .
2
0
Hi Joy, The more connections we can form with a new word, the higher the chances of remembering them in the future. For example, I have just come across the word "digest" in an article. There are several definitions from an online dictionary for that word: 1. to break down (food) in the alimentary canal into substances that can be absorbed and used by the body. 2. a compilation or summary of material or information. I will think of a theme that I can use for this word. For Definition 1, I can think of the theme of "nutrition", since my body needs to "digest" food in order to have proper nutrition. Next, I can think of five words or phrases under the theme of "nutrition". This helps me to remember the meaning of "digest" by association. Examples: stomach, gastric juices, protein, saliva and carbohydrates. I would also want to remember the meaning by familiarisation. I will try to form a few sentences over the next few days on italki, and let native speakers correct me if necessary. Examples: Our saliva digests food. / Protein is broken down when our bodies digest meat. Therefore, we learn better by using themes, association and forming sentences to familiarise ourselves with its usage. For Definition #2, I'll go faster. Overall theme: Reading materials Five other associative phrases or words: magazines, information, summary, main ideas, periodical. Practice with two sentences: This is a digest of some current news. / I like to read Readers' Digest. These are not foolproof techniques, but I think they do help because we learn well by mental scaffolding and forming links between current and new knowledge. You may also want to learn new words under the same theme so that more mental links can be formed. For example, I would prefer to learn words such as "bulletin", "advisory", "periodical" and "subscription" together as they come under the theme of "publications". I hope this helps you.
Learning vocabulary requires committing it to memory. There are various ways to do that. It helps to know the way you learn best and use that learning modality to your advantage. For example, if you are a visual learner, use videos, images, and other visual aids, like flashcards. Auditory learners can listen to music, podcasts, or speak the words out loud. Kinesthetic learners can use physical objects like flashcards and write the words. Using a vocabulary app, like Quizlet, is another good way to memorize new words. In addition, use them in a sentence. Learn their synonyms and antonyms. Throughout your day, when you're thinking in Chinese, ask yourself how your thoughts could be said in English. Label the objects in your home with the English words. Find a learning partner to practice speaking with. Keep a daily diary in Englishto record your activities each day. The options are limited only by your imagination.
Joey Rox Reneau
Aromanian, Chinese (Taiwanese), English
Aromanian, English