Luiz
''fare'' ''How did it fare with you?'' ''It fared badly with him.'' ''I have fared well in my profession.'' Can I use ''fare'' to mean ''happen/succeed/turn out...''? Is it common to use the word ''fare'' in daily conversation? Or is this word considered to be archaic? Thanks in advance.
9
0
Fare is a common word, and like you said, as a verb. it means “how did you make out?”, or “How did it go?” In this sense the word means to “turn out”, it asks what was the result of something you or someone else did. He didn’t fare well at his job interview, because it didn`t go well.
Depends which country you will go to. Its archaic here I have never heard it used and if you spoke like that people will look at you like you are weird.
Thank you, John!
it is occasionally heard and still used, in the sense you describe, but "to fare" = "to travel" is more ancient and archaic and not used anymore. Sources Oxford and Cambridge Dictionaries and I think Merriam webster and all other English dictionaries will say the same. But we still say "a fare" = a passenger in a cab or the cost of a ride in a cab, or other journey by plane etc.
Luiz
English, Portuguese