Ellis
Using 였 For past tense purposes, TTMIK says that you use ~였 if the verb/adj ends in 하. However, I've been told to write 아저씨는 엣날에 의사였어요. I know 의사 is a noun so could that have impact on the rule? But then wouldn't it be 았어요? Or is that only for V/A? I can't understand and it's probably something I'm overlooking. I've been told elsewhere that you use ~였 after neutral vowels and ~했 for ones that end in 하 Is one wrong or is the rule being over simplified?I wonder if I'm getting confused because I'm applying a rule meant for V/A to nouns. In any case, while you're here, could you tell me the rule for creating sentences like this?
2
0
There are 7 cases of past tense suffix 었/았/였 1. Use 었 after the last vowel of verb/adjective stem is one of ㅓ, ㅕ, ㅜ, ㅡ, ㅣ, ㅐ, ㅔ, ㅖ, ㅞ, ㅚ, ㅟ, ㅢ e.g. 먹(다) + 었다 → 먹었다 2. Use 었 after the last vowel of verb/adjective stem is one of ㅏ,ㅗ e.g. 맑(다) + 았다 → 맑았다 3. Use 었 after N+이다 e.g. 사람이(다) + 었다 → 사람이었다 4. Use 였 after 하다 e.g. 하(다) + 였다 → 하였다 5. Use 였 after 하다 ending verb e.g. 공부하(다) + 였다 → 공부하였다 6. Use 였 as a contraction of 이었 When the verb stem ends with 이 (Optional) e.g. 먹이(다) + 었다 → 먹이었다 → 먹였다 7. Use 였 as a contraction of 이었 When the Noun ends with vowel of N+이다 (Optional) e.g. 사자이(다) + 었다 → 사자이었다 → 사자였다 (사자 ends with vowel) 바다이(다) + 었다 → 바다이었다 → 바다였다 (바다 ends with vowel) Thus, 였 is used in 4,5,6,7 case.
Ellis
Korean