Melanie
What is the difference between 에 and 을/를 when used in these three sentences 하늘을 나는 기분이었어요. I felt as if I was flying in the sky. What about if I use 에 instead? What does it translate to? 하늘에 나는 기분이었어요. 하늘에 새들이 날고 있어요. Birds are flying in the sky. (translation taken from a book) (Is the translation right for this sentence, because when I use 에, I picture going to it. Like 집에 가요. I go to school. So, 하늘에 새들이 날고 있어요. I picture birds flying to the sky, not in the sky.) What if use 을/를 instead? What does it translate to? 하늘을 새들이 날고 있어요. 하늘을 날고 싶어요. I want to fly in the sky. 하늘에 날고 싶어요. (What does this translate to?) Thanks in advance, Melanie
22 de Ago de 2018 às 17:15
3
0
As you know, Korean and English are quite diffent each other. The literal translation doesn't make sense sometimes. 날다 is intransitive verb and also transitive verb. In 하늘을 새들이 날고 있다. 을 denotes 날다 is transitive verb. 하늘 is a direct object of 날다 The literal translation would be "Birds are flying the sky"* => "Birds are flying in the sky" just like the word "climb"오르다 in "climb a mountain"(산을 오르다) In 하늘에 새들이 날고 있어요. (In the sky, birds are flying) 날다 is an intransitive verb 에 means "at/on/in" -에 is a static location. Where something "is" or is going. -에서 (or -서) is where something "happens." 하늘에 나는 기분이었어요. is an awkward sentence because "날다" happens the action of flying 하늘에서 나는 기분이었어요. is a natural sentence. 학교에 가요 literally means "I go at school"* => "I go to school" 하늘을 날고 싶어요. "I want to fly sky"* => "I want to fly in the sky." 하늘에 날고 싶어요. is an awkward sentence. 하늘에서 날고 싶어요. "I want to fly in the sky" The following sentence is also possible 바다에서 하늘을 날고 싶어요 "I want to fly sky on the sea" => "I want to fly in the sky on the sea" For 에 and 에서, refer to https://www.italki.com/question/288576 For 에 and 으로, refer to https://www.italki.com/question/393986
23 de Agosto de 2018
기분 means "mood".
22 de Agosto de 2018
Melanie
Chinese (Cantonese), Korean
Korean