laura
English options to say "¿Me explico?" Hi! I know that in English there's the expression "Do you know what I mean?" but I was wondering if there's a common alternative referind to the speaker. In Spanish we say "¿Me explico?" and if you say so you mean that if the message was missunderstood, it's the speaker's fault, not the listener's. (Feel free to correct this message too if there's any mistake)
4
0
Feel free to correct this message if there are any mistakes. Ironically, apart from that one sentence, there were no mistakes. Well done.
As a native I find that: In casual conversation when English people say "d'you know what I mean?". 100% of the time you can interchange between "..know what I mean?" and "you know?" There isn't really anything else. You can say "understand?" But this is more of you're giving specific instructions.
Hi Laura, there are a few ways to say something similar. You could say "Did/Does that make sense?" This is used if you are trying to explain something complicated and you want to be sure you were clear in your explanation. "Did you get all (of) that?" Can be used in informal settings if you are giving someone a lot of information like a grocery list, or all of your contact information, or something similar. **The intonation here is very important. You would want to use a rising intonation where "that" is the highest intonation to ensure it is understood as a question. If the intonation falls, it could be considered rude and condescending. In a formal setting when talking to superiors, you could add an apology first like "sorry, was that clear?" or "sorry, did that make sense?" You are taking responsibility for any error in understanding. This may weaken your argument, but it is less threatening. Be careful using "was that clear" without an apology first; it can come across as rude especially in formal settings. Finally, in emails or written correspondence, you can add a final line like "please let me know if you have any questions or if you need clarification." Hope this helps!
Perhaps the phrase: "Am I making myself understood?" But usually we use this phrase when we are talking to someone in a lower status, like a child or our employee. For example, if a child tries to eat a cookie before dinner, the parent might take the cookie away and say, "No sweets before dinner. Am I making myself understood?" This emphasizes that what they said is serious.
laura
Catalan, English, French, Galician, Spanish