Tâm
Can I say? 1 When my friend tells me that "Last week, there was a bat flew into my house and I broke my mirror." so can I say both “Those (things) were bad omens.” and "“These (things) are bad omens.” or I can only say “Those (things) were bad omens.”? 2 When my friend tells me that "Last week, I yelled at my girlfriend and made her cry." so can I say both “That (thing) was a mistake.” and "“This (thing) is a mistake.” or I can only say “That (thing) was a mistake.”? Thank you!
This is used for things which are near and that for things which are far. Near could be distance or time, so that or those are correct.
Thank you Bill! I fixed it!
I want to correct your grammar please. In English 3rd person singular usually has an 's' at the end of the verb in the present tense, frustrating but there it is if you want to sound native. When my friend tell me> Should be tells me. think he, she or it before the verb and add an s He tells me: present tense He told me: past tense