Val
With TO or without, and why? 1. I should do all I can [to?] help you. 2. You look tired. You had better [to ?] go home.And why in second example Have used in past tense?
1) With "to" -in order to express purpose Here we are dealing with the clause of purpose(they explain why something is done) which is introduced by "to". 'To" functions in your example as a conjunction and can be easily replaced with "in order to" or 'so as to". Be careful, as 'to' can also be a part of full infinitive and you shouldn't use it after most of the modals. Ex: I can/may/might/should/must help you. 2) without 'to' Had better=should (is used to express advice ona specific situation) is followed by bare intinitive (without "to") Note that in speech, people usually shorten had to ’d, and may not pronounce it at all. Ex:I'd better not go out tonight; I'm really tired.