Community Web Version Now Available
Mohamed Hafez
Community Tutor
Is there any difference between a sticky tape and duct tape and adherent tape ?
Aug 24, 2018 2:43 PM
Answers · 5
Not sure what "sticky" tape is or adherent tape. Duct tape (or the brand Duck tape) is a thicker and wider tape used in home repair projects and on sometimes on ductwork. The other kind of tape you hear about is Scotch (a brand) tape which means the small clear tape. A third type of common tape is packing tape. This is a wide tape used mainly to seal up packages.
August 24, 2018
"Sticky tape" is British, and is sometimes used to avoid using a brand name. In the United States, 99% of the time we say "Scotch tape." "Scotch tape" is actually a brand name brand name. "Scotch tape" is thin and transparent. It is typically used for sticking paper to paper, or sticking paper to walls, or repairing tears in paper. "Adhesive tape" is white, strong, very adhesive, and used to stick bandages to skin. "Duct tape" is grey, about 5 cm. wide, very strong, very sticky, and used as a general way of repairing many things. In the United States, there's a saying, "If it moves, and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40."
August 25, 2018
Duct tape is the multipurpose, waterproof ADHESIVE tape generally sold in Hardware stores. It can be used on a variety of tough projects such as patching holes in boats, cracks in windows or sealing packing boxes. (however, packing tape is better for this last job). Sticky (or Scotch) tape is the clear ADHESIVE tape sold in office stationery stores. It is used in schools and offices for small jobs such as attaching signs to the wall or repairing rips in paper documents.
August 24, 2018
Yes! Duct tape is a strong heavy duty tape you'll use for more construction purposes, while "sticky tape" is generalized for tapes like "Scotch Tape" used for to hang posters or hooks on walls etc. Adherent tape is for medical purposes for wrapping wounds like the brown rag looking stuff you see people wrap there knee with or something similar. There's also Aluminium Tape which is like tin foil with an adhesive back used for things like ventilation if you want to get specific.
August 24, 2018
Mohamed Hafez
Language Skills
Arabic, Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Modern Standard), English, German, Russian, Spanish
Learning Language
English, German, Russian, Spanish