Joey Black
Way from/out of here Can you explain the difference? Are these words interchangeable? 1. Is there no way from here? Some say that the night will clear And we'll be gone, all from here And we'll never once look back -- "Bulletproof Heart" by Jim Kerr 2. We have all failed! You have accomplished nothing! And there is no way from here. No one will come for you. Myst Island is your end. -- Myst V: End of Ages 3. There must be some kind of way outta here Said the joker to the thief There's too much confusion I can't get no relief -- "All Along the Watchtower" by Bob Dylan 4. There's no way out of here When you come in You're in for good There was no promise made The part you played The chance you took -- "There's No Way Out Of Here" by David Gilmour
Usually their meaning is similar, but they are only sometimes interchangeable. The choice between from and out of is related to the choice between at and in. If I am at a place, there will be a way from it; if I am in it, there will be a way out. In and out of: London, the bath, trouble, a bad mood, hospital. At and from: home, work, university, the doctor's, London (again, but see below). Sometimes the 'wrong' choice is valid but with a specific meaning, for example 'out of work' means unemployed. Place names can be odd too: 'at London' would not be used to refer to the city, but 'from London' is used as normal. Also 'out of' doesn't apply to really big places such as countries which you can be in, but you go from them.
The meaning is the same. "from" indicates a source e.g. I took the coins from the pocket. = the pocket was the source of the coins "out of" indicates an exit e.g. I took the coins out of the pocket = the coins exited the pocket In informal situations (including your examples from lyrics), "out of" is a more common and natural choice, in my opinion, especially when used with verbs. Sometimes, a writer will prefer one or the other depending on the rhythm of the writing, rather than the nuance in the meaning or formality.
..