Luiz
Meaning of ''reproach with'' and ''out of the past'' ''She was reproached with something out of the past.'' What is the purpose of using ''out'' in this sentence? Please, explain it to me. Thanks in advance.
Hi Luiz, We have to consider the two words together ("out of") which describes an origin of something. In your sentence, she was blamed with something that originated/happened/occurred from the past. There are cases where there is a slight nuance when "out" is used. For example: A: This table is made of wood. B:This table is made out of recycled materials. In sentence B, the focus has shifted to the origin of the materials used to construct a table. In sentence A, the focus is merely on the material used to construct a table. If you were to write: "This table is made of recycled materials", the meaning should still be easily understood. There are other cases where "out" is essential. For example: C: The campers were of danger. D: The campers were out of danger. In sentence C, the sentence doesn't make sense. In sentence D, "out of" expresses the meaning of no longer being under a condition. "out" is essential here. The expression "out of" is also found in idioms: "Out of the blue (originating from an unexpected source), the train derailed and ploughed into the platform full of waiting commuters." I hope this helps.
These prepositions really stressed me out, oh, by the way, why I used 'out' here, I actually don't know, I just imitate :D
Out in this context means something from a source of many things; of all the things that happened in her past one of them reproached her. Out of all the languages in the world Portuguese is the easiest for you to speak. From the source of 'all languages...' Out of six students only one passed the exam. From the source of six.