Maggie
questions It was the last third of September, and still hot — the hottest late summer I can remember. All during that final sad push on the book, I kept thinking how much I missed her . . . but that never slowed me down. And here's something else: hot as it was in Derry, so hot I usually worked in nothing but a pair of boxer shorts, I never once thought of going to our place at the lake. It was as if my memory of Sara Laughs had been entirely wiped from my mind. Question 1: I never once thought of --- in this case, what’s the meaning of ‘once?’ ( at some time in the past or one time only or at any one time? ) Question 2: I never once thought of == I never EVER thought of? If not, why?
Answer NO 1: What is the meaning of "once". To the best of my knowledge, once means "on one occasion or for one time only". If you never once thought of, it means you never for one time had a thought about it. It never came through your mind. I hope you find my answer pleasant to your question. [emoji][emoji]
Once just means it happened only one time or refers to something in the past. Once is used here to emphasize that she found it odd that she didn't think of it at all. Because she never ONCE thought. That means it never happened. Hopefully this helps you!!
"Once" is used here to add emphasis to the negative meaning of "never." In particular, it means that "the act of thinking of ...." did not occur, not even once. We could also rewrite the phrase as "not even once did I think of" or "not even for one moment did I think of...." "I never ever thought of..." has the same meaning, with "ever" being used here for emphasis, just like "once" above. At least for me, there is no difference in nuance between the two, so you could say either phrase, depending on your personal preference. I hope this helps!