richard
Parecer and the subjunctive Hi I wonder whether anyone can explain to me why the following phrase is in the subjunctive u otra que os parezca interesante (or another that seems to you interesting) This is the first time that I have seen the verb parecer used in this way in the subjunctive. Many times before I have seen the construction me parce/nos parece. Many thanks Richard
In adjective clauses (subsentence that work like adjective = "que os parezca interesante" works like adjective of " otra época"...) we use subjunctive when you speak about something that you don't know if exists or not. You don't know if there are or not "otra época que os parece interesante". If you know, use indicativo: Voy a hablar de la otra que te parece interesante ( I know there are one that seems to you interesting ). Typical example: Busco un colega que HABLA francés (you know there is one) Busco un colega que HABLE francés ( you don't know...probably ther is one, probably not)
Depends on the context. Please, show the full sentence.
I don´t know how to explain it exactly, but the subjunctive is used to express an hypothetical situation. In your example: u otra que os parezca interesante = u otra que os pueda parecer interesante Is like a second conditional : If I were you I would go to the party --> Si yo FUERA tú, iría a la fiesta. In this case FUERA is a subjunctive. I'm Sorry, but I can't give you a rule of thumb for the use of subjunctive.