Mina
What is "Pick up some food" meaning? What is "Pick up some food" meaning?
13
0
It means get/buy some food on your way to somewhere else. For example "I'll pick up some food on my way home" means that on your journey back from work you will stop at a supermarket to buy some food to bring home.
In this context, "pick up" means buy or get. It usually, but not always, is an incidental purchase while traveling from point A to point B ("on my way home," "while I'm out"). I will pick up some food on my way home. I will get some food on my way home. I will buy some food on my way home. Tomorrow, I will pick up a cake for the party. (= Tomorrow, I will buy a cake for the party.) It generally applies to small items that are purchased routinely without thought. I will pick up some paper for the printer. I will pick up some diapers for the baby. I will pick up a newspaper. I will pick up a monthly bus pass. It does not apply to purchases that require significant thought. bad - I will pick up an airplane ticket to Paris. (thought is required - which day? which class?) good - I will pick up a monthly bus pass.
It means buy some food when you are passing a shop or supermarket. It's a casual (informal) way of speaking. For instance, you could say to a friend: "come round to dinner tonight and I'll pick up some food from the supermarket on my way home".
The correct question should have been either "What does "Pick up some food" mean" or "What is the meaning of "Pick up some food"" The answer to BOTH is that you go shopping to buy food for a meal, in the absence of any other information. However depending upon any other context it could mean you buy some food for other reasons, as for example the picnic suggested. "We need to pick up some food for the party"
Hi Mina, "Pick up" is a phrasal verb that expresses a variety of meanings. Some of them include: (a) to lift something from a surface (b) to get and buy something (c) to acquire something (especially knowledge) in an informal way. Your phrase means to buy some food from a particular place. For example: Can you pick up a turkey from the supermarket on your way home? I hope this helps.
Mina
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Vietnamese