Maggie
questions She wasn't just in Ireland this time. My office at the lake is tiny, but has a view. The office in Derry is long, book-lined, and windowless. On this particular evening, the overhead fans — there are three of them — were on and paddling at the soupy air. Question 1: What’s the meaning of ‘has a view?’ Question 2: What’s the difference between ‘there are three’ and ‘there are three OF them?’ Question 3: What’s the meaning of ‘paddling at the soupy air?’ ( what’s the meaning of ‘paddle?’ )
She is comparing two offices. One has no windows and one has a view. Has a view means her other office has a glass door or a window where she can look out. What she sees is "the view", maybe of the street or a lake or mountain. For example," I live on the 18th floor and face the art museum and river. I have a great view." The 2nd question; "There are three " would not be used very often. It could only be used as and answer to a question such as "How many security guards work in your building?" "There are three," However, it would not be used much. We would probably be more likely to answer just "Three" or We have three of them. "There are three guards or three of them would be much more common. "of them "is usually added. There are with the number and "of them" would be rather uncommon. I would not worry much about literary language such as that which appeared in the description given in the book about the fan. The paddles on the fan would more commonly called blades, but if it were a wooden fan. paddles may be used, although I have never heard it. In this case the term " paddles on a fan" is probably used because the shape is similar to a paddle you would use when rowing a boat and the fan has wooden "Paddles" . For medal fans we call them blades. So much of what you read in literature is not everyday language. In speaking , we would not talk about the "soupy air". If we used "soupy" about the weather , it would mean very humid. "it is so soupy, today." However nowadays no one would use that. Remember when you read literature, especially of another century , you are going to come across language that may not be in popular use or is not used in everyday language. A newspaper is probably better to read than a literary work unless you are quite advanced and for speaking, plays or something where there is dialogue would be more helpful. You should choose something which is up to date.
Hi Maggie, #1 "has a view" means you are able to "view" / look outside, usually at something nice. So, this office is small but at least it has a window "with a view" where you can look outside. #2 No real difference here, in my opinion. Both sound fine. Adding "of them" (fans) helps explain what you are counting. #3 Never heard this before. It's either a local expression or only used in literature. Based on the context though (the fan)... imagine a fan spinning... you see the fan blades spinning through the air. The blades are pushing through the air which is like a paddle (on a boat) pushing through the water. I guess soupy air means thick air? The kind of air that feels stuffy and hard to breathe. Look-up a picture of a "boat paddle" and you will see. :)