Ali
Please correct my sentence and give me some examples with the idiom "to work one's tail/butt off" Every day for 30 years, he worked his tail/butt off washing cars to make a living. I also have another example sentence, but I don't know how to complete it. I've been working my tail off for you for free while you _________. (please complete it for me)
5
0
Be aware that this is informal, colloquial speech. You would use it with friends. You would not normally use it in writing (unless you are writing in a spoken, conversational style), or in a formal or semiformal context. There are many ways to finish your sentence. In every case, the sentence communicates anger. "I've been working my tail off for you for free while you haven't lifted a finger for me." I've been working my tail off for you for free and you haven't even thanked me for it." "I've been working my tail off for you for free and you are complaining that I haven't done enough?" "I've been working my tail off for you for free and what have I gotten in exchange? Nothing, that's what. Nothing." "I've been working my tail off for you for free and you've just been taking it for granted." "I've been working my tail off for you for free because of what your dad did for me in the past, but there's a limit." "I've been working my tail off for you for free but I've had it. I'm done. I'm out of here."
Ali
English, Persian (Farsi), Portuguese
English, Portuguese