Joey Rox Reneau
Do you think people can learn another language by watching videos on YouTube ? I started learning English since I was a kid and for last six years I've been watching and listening to podcasts.

But I feel my English level is not improving ...

5
1
Hi Joy, The mastery of any language, including English, involves the practising of both receptive skills (e.g. listening and reading) as well as productive skills (e.g. writing and speaking). Productive skills may be what you are lacking. For non-native learners, speaking fluently may be a daunting task as it involves listening, interpreting what the other person means and coping with expressions that may be unique to the target language. When you throw in the fact that speaking is a real-time activity (unlike writing which can be completed in stages), it can be very daunting indeed. I am not saying that all learners will be better in writing than speaking (I have seen otherwise). What I am saying is that having a regular partner to practise speaking on a variety of topics will be more effective over the long run because listening to podcasts trains you on receptive skills only, and you miss out what you actually need most -- productive skills.
Yes. I once had an exchange partner who had learned perfect Spanish pronunciation and accent from imitating (shadowing, chorusing) the videos on the Easy Spanish channel. I also have a student who has learned a lot from the TV series "Extra en español" on YouTube. She has never touched a grammar book. You can also find Extra in English.
Learning foreign languages differs from person to person. Just like solving math problems, playing the piano and playing football and so on. And European languages are much similar to English than my language Japanese. Normal Japanese can not master English just by watching video and listening. I heard about Japanese who learnt English through video. First, he undersood the meaning by the subtitle. Then, he wrote the English on the paper and read aloud again and again until he memorize. Next, he spoke the English with watching the video.
People used to learn languages having only the Bible in the language they studied. YouTube offers a greater variety, so certainly yes. Though it does not mean your grammar will improve dramatically unless you watch a lot of grammar videos that are also available nowadays) A language consists of many aspects and unless you live in a country where it is spoken by the majority of people you interact with you will improve only those aspects you deliberately work at.
Hi, I think only watching videos are not enough to speak English We should speak English with someone regularly then we can learn faster.
Joey Rox Reneau
Aromanian, Chinese (Taiwanese), English
Aromanian, English