Sebastian
What could this sentence possibly mean? I came across the following sentence in Stephen King's "Cell": 'Civilization SLIPPED INTO its second dark age ON an unsurprising track of blood but with a speed that could not have been foreseen by even the most pessimistic futurist. By Halloween, every major city from New York to Moscow stank to the empty heavens and the world as it had been was a memory.' Does it mean that the act of civilization slipping into its second dark age was followed by bloodshed, or that civilization slipped on a track of blood and ended up in a terrible situation?
3
0
To me, your first supposition makes more sense. slip into something (a phrasal verb)-to gradually start to experience an unpleasant or difficult situation (the second dark age -in your case). ON-is just a preposition for "track"-on an unsurprising track. To simplify the whole thing, I'd say: Civilization faced its second dark age on the track of bloodshed which brought unexpectedly huge amount of deaths/suffering/horror.( everyone was aware that the new age would bring new bloodshed, yet nobody expected it (maybe the world war) to start that quickly and bring so much horror and suffering.) *The author is also not surprised that the new dark age civilization was experiencing brought blood and deaths, but it's the amount of horror (wars/bloodshed/suffering etc) and, possibly, how quickly new wars or bloodshed started, that was shocking and unpredictable (this idea is conveyed figuratively by saying "with a speed that could not have been foreseen by even the most pessimistic futurist"). I hope that'll help.
In my opinion, it's the second meaning you said, because "into" means the result, "on" is the reason why it slipped. Anyway, I am not completely sure, so let's see what other users say
Sebastian