Joey Black
Dry or dry up People use both versions, so I'm confused. Are these words interchangeable? If not, please indicate mistakes below. 1. All is well for now until the sun has dried the river Cry me one and that'll be the love I had to give her -- ""Aquarium" by Stepa 2. A drought that has dried the river and the stream running through ThunderClan territory. 3. As we are also standing on the threshold, God has dried the river for us to be able to go across. 4. This process has dried up the river even during the ongoing monsoon season. 5. Increasing water demand has dried up the river for most of the year.
3
0
No not really interchangeable Dry up usually means to absorb all the water, moisture so its very dry. It depends on how dry you want something to be. The river bed was dry: but there could be water or moisture underneath the soil. The river bed had dried up during the drought. There is no moisture or water at all even under the soil. Dry up takes it to another level of dryness.
Well, they both mean the same but "dried up" emphasizes more that there is no water left when there should be. = There is not a drop left! It also accentuates the point of view of the person speaking and strengthens the message: "Look, it's all dried up!" "Dried" is more neutral. A person who wants to remain neutral says that the Summer sun has dried the river. It's just a statement. If the sun has dried up the river, we might understand that the person saying this disagrees with this or finds it problematic. (I'd be interested to see if others agree with me)
Wet clothes 'dry' When my clothes are dry I will put them away. Weather 'dries up" We can go out later when it dries up a bit(because it's raining now. Large pools/bodies of water 'dry up" After the river dried up the whole ecosystem changed. People 'dry off" It's raining outside and I'm soaked so I am going upstairs to dry off and change my clothes.
Joey Black