Niwantha
among or between? Which is correct? Hi friends, Which is the correct sentence? 1) We will have to divide the sections between the team members on this assignment. 2) We will have to divide the sections among the team members on this assignment. Thanks in advance. Niwantha
11
0
Hi Niwantha, There is a common misconception that "between" only expresses a relationship for two elements (e.g. things or people) while "among" is used for more than two elements. "Between" is used when the elements are distinctly or specifically made known to the reader. Example: There is a final match between Brazil and Argentina. On the contrary, "among" is used when the elements are not specifically named. Example: The leaders will be discussing the issue among themselves during the meeting. Since your phrase "team members" refer to workers in general who are roped in for the same assignment, "among" will be the appropriate choice. I hope this helps.
Hey there! We normally use "between" when referring to things and "among" for three or more. However, informally people use "between" for all the situations. So, you can use "Devide between the team", it's fine.
Number 2 is better because it is likely that there are more than two team members. If there are only two team members, then number 1 is acceptable.
I would use either in this case. I think "between" sounds more natural, but "among" is probably more accurate if the sentence is referring to 3 or more people.
A good question indeed! In terms of a conversation I can imagine native speakers possibly using both. Though I would go with "between". Simply because, it's often used to divide parts of a whole thing into fractions and delegated/give a part to an individual. You could say "split among/within the team," if you were to use the 2nd one. Hope this helps.
Niwantha
English, Sinhala