Pineapple
men have a less difficult role in the oedipal scenario 1. Does "The whole question of power seemed to involve thinking about the construction of masculinity rather than femininity for the woman" mean "The subject of power, for women (in the women's thoughts) seemed to be related to the structure of masculinity rather than femininity"? 2. Does the rest of the passage mean "I also found it simplistic to think that men in their childhood have better relationships with their mothers. I mean, it might be useful to think about the relation of men with femininity"? But it does not make sense. Context: The whole question of power seemed to involve thinking about the construction of masculinity rather than femininity for the woman. I also felt it had been altogether too easy to say that men have a less difficult role in the oedipal scenario. I mean, it might also be appropriate to think about the man’s relation to the feminine term. So this was on the agenda when I started working on Gloria Patri.
1 The sentence isn't very well worded, your interpretation is possible and may be correct, but it could also be talking about the question of power as it is generally understood and written about; this seems more likely to me, but I don't know enough context to be sure, and maybe there isn't a right answer. 2 The story of Œdipus is a well known tragedy, which Freud imagined every family acting out. It has roles for mum, dad and son, and is usually told from the son's perspective, casting him as the one who suffers most. The writer invites us to wonder how mum feels about it.
ARE YOU REFERRING to this long interview? That seems to be dealing/discussing contemporary art with the artist. http://www.jca-online.com/kelly.html: -> Ottmann: Your latest project, GLORIA PATRI, seems to be as much a continuity of questions raised in your previous works as a departure from them. Kelly: Well, I see it as a departure in some respects; for example, as an installation, it's much more integrated. I thought of it as a complete piece, whereas the previous projects consisted of a number of different sections. The way the work looks has also changed, the unification of materials, that kind of consolidation, visually, was important for me. But, yes, as far as continuity is concerned, there's probably even more I could talk about because all of the works do seem to emerge from a certain form of questioning. For example, in POST PARTUM DOCUMENT, I was looking at the intricacies of maternal desire, but I found at the end of it, I had to ask: what happens at another moment in a woman's life? How would femininity be constructed for her outside that privileged relation? This was what I tried to deal with in the next project, INTERIM. Then, when I was finishing its last section, "Potestas," which concerns the problem of difference and power, I began to think about the inadequacy of certain kinds of theorization of, say, the masquerade, the objectification of the woman, images of women. The whole question of power seemed to involve thinking about the construction of masculinity rather than femininity, for the woman. I also felt it had been altogether too easy to say that men have a less difficult role in the oedipal scenario. I mean, it might also be appropriate to think about the man's relation to the feminine term. So this was on the agenda when I started working on GLORIA PATRI. But then it was really put in place by the events of the Persian Gulf war. .... . . .-> . pathological structuring of masculinity that this specific condition — the Gulf war — provoked.
See also my comments below you comments. 15 minutes searching and we have your answer for you. Yes Jimmy is correct. Gloria Patri The dramatically-lit polished aluminium shields, trophies and discs of Gloria Patri are hung at varying heights, making use of peripheral vision. Media reports of battle from the war in Iraq in the early 1990s are etched onto the surface of the shields and presented with a super-flat metallic shine, parodying the way masculinity is defined and displayed. As part of the artist’s ongoing interrogation of gender politics, Gloria Patri considers the consequences, for women, of adopting the masculine ideal, for instance, demanding the right to go to the front line and kill the enemy. Although, she addresses this obliquely through a narrative about physical fitness rather than combat. <-- From the artists website.
yes Jimmy is correct, but like jimmy has said, it was not well written. The art work installation is about the gulf war. About men and power and about a women's right to go and kill the invading christian enemy. Also the Edipus tragedy is thrown in for good measure.