Maggie
question The words on the screen were these: today wasn't so bad, she supposed. She crossed the grass to her car, and laughed when she saw the white square of paper under the windshield. Cam Delancey, who refused to be discouraged, or to take no for an answer, had invited her to another of his Thursday-night wine-tasting parties. She took the paper, started to tear it up, then changed her mind and stuck it in the hip pocket of her jeans, instead. 'No paragraph indent,' I said, 'this continues.' Then I keyboarded the line I'd been holding in my head ever since I got up to get the champagne. There was a whole world out there; Cam Delancey's wine-tasting was as good a place to start as any. Question: What’s the meaning of ‘There was a whole world out there; Cam Delancey's wine-tasting was as good a place to start as any?’
There is a whole world out there to explore. The wine tasting was as good as any other place to start exploring.
It means the person could start their journey anywhere in the world.. Tokyo, New York, the middle of the ocean or Cam Delancey's wine tasting party. Wherever they are, it will still feel the same.
The person/character lives in a “small world" consisting of her usual activities. The “whole world" is the rest of life. The character is about to “expand” her world. She will start by going to the wine-tasting party.