Tasha
how can i say 'that day it was so windy it blew away my backpack' in italian?
16
2
Quel giorno c'era così tanto vento che si portò via il mio zaino.
Quel giorno era così ventoso che il mio zaino è stato spazzato via =)
"Quel giorno c'era così tanto vento che mi ha strappato via lo zaino".
In the sentences below -- Quel giorno c'era così tanto vento che mi strappò via lo zaino (-- "THERE WAS SUCH A WIND that it blew my backpack away") The subject can be both "that day", both "the wind", so it is not a good version. But if we would like to use the active form anyway, we might use the Implicit form, using the Infinitive, as it points to any Subject and lets us to determine it logically: -- Quel giorno, il vento era così forte DA STRAPPARMI lo zaino (-- That thay, the wind was so strong TO BLOW my backpack away) So if you need to give a Best Answer, I'd clearly point it to Federica's. Bye
Edoardo translates "to blow away" with "to rip off", which in Italian sounds the most suitable translation (> to rip a garment off a person); I don't agree instead using "spazzare" (to sweep off), as it is used for large areas (such as lands and the sky -- eg. to sweep the clouds off the sky). However, when we translate "it was so windy" we tend to transform the adjective in the noun "c'era così tanto vento", starting a Consecutive clause ("so that..."), whose subject is "IT" . Now the main subject is "That day" : so who is the real subject? the day rips off the backpack? There must be a mistake... Therefore, Federica makes the best syntactical choice, using the passive form, letting us realize that obviously is the wind which makes the job (not "the day"). However (!) I still don't like very much the choice of the Passato Prossimo, which is used when we want to connect a past event as an explanation of the present situation (so that we call it "prossimo" = near to us). I wonder how that story is important to us, so I just think it is the typical storytelling to amuse someone, and in this case the events narrated go in the Past Perfect > Passato Remoto (which is your original tense). CONCLUSION: we can now create the best "hybrid": - Quel giorno c'era così tanto vento che il mio zaino fu strappato via. - or [Quel giorno era così ventoso che ...] Good bye
Tasha
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Korean, Norwegian, Slovenian
Chinese (Mandarin), French, Korean, Norwegian