Maggie
questions I stopped, looking at the little flashing cursor. The tears were still prickling at the corners of my eyes, but I repeat that there were no cold drafts around my ankles, no spectral fingers at the nape of my neck. I hit return twice. I clicked on center. I typed The End below the last line of prose, and then I toasted the screen with what should have been Jo's glass of champagne. 'Here's to you, babe,' I said. 'I wish you were here. I miss you like hell.' My voice wavered a little on that last word, but didn't break. I drank the Taittinger, saved my final line of copy, transferred the whole works to floppy disks, then backed them up. And except for notes, grocery lists, and checks, that was the last writing I did for four years.Question 1 / 1: What’s the meaning of ‘Here's to you?’ Question 1 / 2: Can I also say ‘Here’s FOR you?’ If not, what’s the difference between them? Question 2: What’s the meaning of ‘my final line of copy?’ Question 3: backed them up == backed floppy disks up? ( back up: to save copies of computer files in another place, in case the original files become inaccessible ? ) Question 4: My voice wavered a little on that last word --- last word == hell?
1. When you raise a glass of wine or champagne, or any other kind of alcoholic drink, to 'toast' someone, i.e. to honor them or congratulate them on something, one often says 'here's to you'. It means 'we are raising our glasses (of wine, champagne, etc.) to you to show you that we are congratulating you or honoring you.' In other words, it is a traditional saying. 2. No, you would not say 'here's for you' because it would simply be incorrect. You could, though, say: 'Here, this is for you' if you were giving someone something, but it would not be the correct usage when toasting someone. 3. Yes, you have the correct meaning for 'backed them up'. 4. Informal English can sometimes be rather ambiguous. 'Hell' is a usually word with negative meanings, but here it is used to mean 'a lot'. (I miss you a lot.) The irony here is that the writer has probably just realized the irony of that ambiguity, i.e. no one would miss hell, but at the same time, the writer is in a kind of personal 'hell'.
copy is an old way of saying the final proof before going to the printers to be printed, it was used in the newspaper Industry, Although from an old era and industry it is still used, and is not always restricted only to newspapers/magazines. It could be any other document that is publicised = made public. So my last line of copy = the last Line of the last document I will ever write. Because the writer is retiring or changing jobs or has been made redundant or ill etc whatever reason.
"Here's to..." is used when you're toasting something - for example, "Here's to your continued success". You're toasting/celebrating someone's success, and hoping it continues. Here's to you is essentially toasting/celebrating the person/thing you're saying it to. In this case, the person is celebrating both finishing the writing, and also the person that is being written about. Final line of copy, as far as I can tell, is a pretty old fashioned way of saying the end of what you've written. The end of the document. The person may have backed up the floppy disks (made another copy of it, so that they had two - an original and a back up). Her voice wavering indicates that she was upset. At the end of the sentence her voice almost broke, but it didn't. I don't think the specific word "hell" has any special significance, just that it was the end of the sentence and she managed to say it without her voice breaking as what she was saying was emotional for her.