Maggie
question I at least made a stab at the ritual on the day I finished ‘All the Way from the Top.’ It felt hollow, form from which the magical substance had departed, but I'd expected that. I didn't do it out of superstition but out of respect and love. A kind of memorial, if you will. Or, if you will, Johanna's real funeral service, finally taking place a month after she was in the ground. form n. the particular way in which something appears or exists substance n. the most basic or necessary part or quality of something : essence depart v. to change something or do something in a different way Question: Do these three definitions make sense in this case? If not, what do they mean?
The dead body is the form in this context, it felt hollow, and the magic substance (life) had departed (left gone away somewhere else) the first two definitions make sense. But the third one is not quite correct for the context. depart = to leave/exit/go somewhere else.
Form and substance are okay depart in the context is to leave. The magical substance had left the form making it empty.
thank you :-)
There has to be something wrong with the sentecne, even from King. It felt a hollow form, from which ... It felt hollow, from which ... . Seems "substance" could be literal, as if magic were a substance, but more likely it is saying that the magic was now insubstantial, less there. :)