What are places that sell toys to children called in the US and the UK? Thank you :) I'm assuming "toy store" in AmE and "toy shop" in BrE but I was wondering if the two would be used in both dialects depending on the size of the shop.
Aug 29, 2018 8:09 AM
Answers · 11
Both can be used.
August 29, 2018
They are definitely both used in AmE, but I think the word "shop" sounds smaller than "store." So bigger stores, smaller shops. Hope that helped! :)
August 29, 2018
"Store" is the common word in North America. In my limited experience (having heard "shop" perhaps 20 times in 20 years), "shop" is used occasionally for a very small business, almost always with one worker, such as a tobacco shop (obsolete now), a tailor shop, a dress shop, or a lawnmower repair shop.
August 29, 2018
Both are OK in the UK, but "shop" is more common unless it is really big. In the UK, we often say "I am going to the shop(s) " (i.e. the grocery store/corner shop or when the precise shop(s) is known). I never hear, "I am going to the store". That would mark someone out as American (or American-influenced).
August 29, 2018
Thank you very much Nanren :)
August 29, 2018
Show more
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!