Joe
Cantonese *and* Mandarin I have just started studying in Hong Kong and I will be here for two years. I have started learning Cantonese on italki and I am really enjoying it and would like to continue. However, the university only offer language courses in Mandarin. So, my question is: has anyone had experience learning both at the same time? If so, any advice? or should I stop learning Cantonese (at least for a while)?
29 авг. 2018 г., 13:49
5
1
Hi, Joe In my humble opinion, Mandarin is definitely worth learning because it is the most spoken language in the world, and competency in Mandarin will give you an edge in your career and help you understand Chinese culture. Regarding Cantonese, I think it's a waste if you don't make good use of the opportunities arising from your stay in HK to learn it, considering that there are so few written learning materials available. Moreover, there are many things in common between Mandarin and Cantonese. I suggest that you start off by using simple Cantonese sentences in your daily life, such as when shopping and ordering food in a restaurant. It will be fun.
1 сентября 2018 г.
I live in Hong Kong. I can communicate with you in Cantonese.
2 сентября 2018 г.
Joe
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish
Hungarian