선한
I have a question 1. He happens to be a very nice guy. 2. He is a very nice guy. What's the difference between 1 and 2 ?
2
0
Hi 선한, 2. "He is a very nice guy." Using a linking verb (i.e. is), you are stating that someone or something has a quality (i.e likeable personality). With your sentence, the reader can imagine that you have known someone for some time, and you are describing his personality. 1. "He happens to be a very nice guy." The expression "happens to be" implies that, by chance, you notice a certain quality about something or someone. With your sentence, the reader can imagine that perhaps you just had a conversation with a stranger or someone whom you barely know, and he turns out to be amiable. I hope this helps.
Number 1 indicates that he is a nice guy. (despite what I thought earlier, or despite what others think) Number 2 is neutral - he is a nice guy.
선한
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Korean