Ethan Lee
Bullet point grammar When writing a bulleted list of incomplete sentences introducing a school, I have some questions. 1. How should I punctuate each item? 2. If the sentences start with a verb, is that correct that I use "Ving" for active voice and "pp" for passive voice? Here are my examples: ● Ranked among the top 10 out of nearly 200 universities in the nation. ● Having Received the Teaching Excellence Award from MoE for over 5 consecutive years. ● Maintaining partnerships with more than 300 universities around the world. Thank you very much!
10
0
The points will appear stronger if proper verb tense is used:

. Has received...

. Maintains ...

Imagine composing the full sentence and leaving the subject off. "X has received..." becomes "Has received..."

You are writing about an academic subject, promoting an academic institution, so you should try to do this correctly - your readers will expect proper English. Bob's advice corresponds to common practice in business - I see this all the time in PowerPoint - but by academic standards it is lazy; most universities will have a style guide which prescribes capitals and full stops as you have given here, you should stick with them. His advice about tense is good, though!
I think whether to put period or comma or nothing at end is personal preference. The key is to be consistent. I typically don't use punctuation at the end except in rare case when bullets require multiple sentences.
Thanks, Nanren888! I learn a lesson.
Well, I have worked with a guy who considered himself good at this. He told me *that all such list shousl still follow basic rule, *they often end up commas, because that would be correct anyway, *they should therefore not start with capitals, *the last one should have a full stop. . It seemed it was a reasonable practice to follow for some sorts of lists.
Ethan Lee
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Hakka), Chinese (Taiwanese), English