Viktor
there is/there are Why I must write "there is" in this sentence? I think that "there are" is right... There is fresh air, green trees and wild fields.
6
0
The number of the verb is determined by the number of the noun closest to the verb. In your sentence, the closest noun is “air.” Air is a mass noun, it has no plural form, only singular. Thus, as you were told, you should use the singular verb “is.” If you switch the order around where the closer noun would be “trees” or “fields,” then you would use “are.” For example: One apple, one orange, or two bananas are then added to the blender. Two bananas, one apple, or one orange is then added to the blender. Do not allow the mix of the number in the different nouns confuse you. Just follow the rule and you’ll be fine.
Does the plurality of the verb depend on the plurality of the first element in the list? In any case, the original sentence seems weird, and I would rearrange the elements to avoid awkwardness. For example: "There are green trees, wild fields, and fresh air."
“There is “ it is singular “There are” it is plural.
When you use "there is" it is singular and "there are" it is plural. Ex: There is a dog. There are two dogs. Hope that helps.
Viktor