Hossein
Help me with sentence 3 Does second "it" in sentence 3 refer to saftey of workplace? I can't understand sentence 3 clearly and its relation to other sentences! Could "prevent" mean "to help" here?! 1. I'd like to remind everyone that our lives are not on lock. Out of personal respect to the mutual nature with Negan, but Negan is MIA. 2. Simon has taken over, and he has requested an exponential acceleration of production. More shots on the lickety-quick. 3. Even if we're double-timing it around the clock with nary a carey for workplace safety, it isn't gonna prevent us from meeting our quixotic quota by the proverbial crap-ton. 4. The best that we can hope for is that we somehow manage to squeeze out the bare minimum number of rounds necessary to avoid the consequences of Simon finding out how short we are. ___ Thanks
30 août 2018 09:49
6
0
Other have explained what "it" refers to, though I think it's closer to an impersonal it. I had to read these sentences several times to understand the sense of #3, it's sloppy. And even now that I do, it doesn't match the sense of #4. No, "prevent" cannot mean "help" here. On its own, #3 could be plainly restated: "Even if *we have to work more hours and less safely*, it (meaning the need for drastic measures) won't stop us from succeeding." It's hard to understand, but since there's a lot of odd and obscure phrases here, I guess it's a piece of dialogue which emphasizes the odd way the person speaks (writing "gonna" is also something you would only do when writing dialogue or communicating very informally). Also, a "quixotic" goal is one that is essentially unobtainable--one that makes sense only in fantasy. It's a weird adjective to apply to any goal you actually plan to achieve. In #1, the second "sentence" is not a sentence, and I can't guess what it means. Likewise, I can't guess what the second sentence in #2 means. Google results for "Lickety-quick" are dominated by a specific educational game, but otherwise it's very obscure. It sounds more like a mistake for "lickety-split" than anything else. But the reason I can't figure out what it means is that I don't know what "shots" means in this context. Sentence #4 makes sense, but not in combination with #3. "The best we can hope for" only makes sense if you assume the quota won't be met. I note that substituting "missing" for "meeting" in #3 makes both make sense (and #3 much clearer). A "round" in this context would probably refer to something specific--a round of ammunition, or some other product that comes in "rounds", like cakes or pieces of wood. If it's referring to collective units of a factory's production (for example), "batches" is probably better; if it's referring to the number of times a factor produces output, "runs" is probably better.
30 août 2018
In the third sentence, "it" refers to the whole preceding idea, "Even if we're double-timing it around the clock with nary a carey for workplace safety, ...". Sometimes, it is a good idea to use "this" instead of "it" in such cases, to avoid ambiguity. But "it" is correct too. By the way, "nary a carey" is a humorous (and very unusual) equivalent of "hardly a care" (= almost not worrying about workplace safety at all").
30 août 2018
[it] refers to the work speed, or work efficiency of that group of workers.
30 août 2018
Hossein
English, Persian (Farsi)