sunsun
How do I say "juego de palabras" in english? Hi! I would like to know how can I say "juego de palabras" in english CONTEXT: I was trying to explain that Hyde's name (The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde) is a "juego de palabras" because it sounds like "hide" and he was a hidden personality that Dr Jekyll had.
"A pun" is what I would say. "Play on words" is another way to say it, but it is much rarer. However, if you find it easier to remember, because of its similarity to the Spanish, it is fine. If someone makes a pun, someone else is sure to say "A pun, my word!" (A pun on "upon my word"), or "that's terrible, we ought to punish you for it" ("pun"-ish). Puns always rely on a similarity of sound. Some of the funniest ones are unexpected because they are not exactly similar. For example, there is a well-known song title, "There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays." There is a terrible pun that needs to be introduced by a long story, about a cook who cooks asparagus in hollandaise sauce, and always serves it on a shiny, polished plate because "there's no plate like chrome for the hollandaise." To me, "wordplay" means something a little different. To me it calls to mind the kind of game that involves manipulating letters or seeing words inside words, like the clues in cryptic crossword puzzles. An example of "wordplay" would be the riddle: "What state of the United States is high in the middle and round at both ends?" Answer: "Ohio" (because the O's at each end are round, and the word "hi" is found in the middle). Palindromes--sentences that read the same way backwards and forwards, like "Madam, I'm Adam" and "Able was I ere I saw Elba"--are another example of a form of wordplay that is not a pun. If I may be permitted to show off, there is another word for a pun, "paranomasia." It's very obscure. Forget it right away. Don't learn it. Don't use it. It is so rare that my computer thinks it is a spelling error and is underlining it in red.
It's quite literal, we say "a play on words." :) You could say they're homonyms or homophones, but "play on words" is standard.
There are a few options. You could say it is wordplay. In situations where it is funny, you can say that it is a pun.