Mohamed
Grammar question I read an article about an idioms "Cog in the machine" but the author has wrote: This could be a great expression to use if you are the manager of a large company and want to make an employee feel important. My question: Make an employee feel(s) important. Why the author does not wrote it with S as an employee is a singular form? do I misunderstand a grammatical rule here or just a typo ? Thanks
6
1
Hi Mohamad, The reason for using "feel" (and not "feels") is because the sentence uses "feel" as a bare infinitive. An infinitive is the word "to" used with a verb in the simple present tense. (e.g. to run, to tell, to feel). Infinitives are commonly used to express an intention to do something. Moving on, a bare infinitive is an infinitive without the "to" as its presence can be implied in the sentence. Some verbs are commonly used with bare infinitives, and "make/makes/made" is one of them. Examples: He makes John clean the wall. / The leaders make John clear the trash. / He made John feel stupid with his remarks. In your sentence: "...you are the manager of a large company and want to make an employee feel important.", the main idea is that "you" have the intention to do two things: (1) to make [infinitive] someone... (2) for someone (to) feel important [bare infinitive]. Therefore, the fact that "employee" is a singular noun will not affect the singular or plural form of the bare infinitive "feel" as a bare infinitive does not have singular or plural forms in the first place. Just as a side discussion, bare infinitives are frequently used after the subject, verb and object of a sentence OR after an infinitive (as shown in the examples below): 1. I (subject) heard (verb) John (object) sing (bare infinitive). 2. I (subject) plan (verb) to let (infinitive) John (object) go (bare infinitive) due to his poor work performance. 2. I (subject) prefer (verb) my employees (object) to work (infinitive) and collaborate (bare infinitive). I hope this helps you.
Hey Mohamed, how are you? I hope you are doing just fine! I shall provide you with an explanation of the usage of the verb ''feel'' in the context concerned: * Firstly, you should know that it is not a typo. As a matter of fact, the main verb of the phrase is not ''feel'', but rather it is ''make''. If you were to use ''feel'' as the main verb of the phrase, then you would say that ''the employee 'feels' important''. However, this is not the construction that is being used here. The very sentence construction used in this case is that of the usage of the verb ''make'' as having the meaning of ''compel'' or ''force''. So, if you 'make (someone) do (something)', you 'compel' or 'force' them to do it. The grammar pattern for such sentence construction is as follows: ''make + (pronoun) + verb (without the ''to'') + rest of the sentence''. Please, have a look at the examples below: 1) ''I will make him tell us the truth''. 2) ''Mom made us clean all the house''. 3) ''She can't make me stay''. 4) ''He made me feel happy''. Did you understand? Hope that helps!!! :) Should you have any further doubts, do not hesitate to contact me. I shall be pleased to help!
It is not a typo. You would be right if "feel" was the main verb of the sentence, but it is not. The main verb is "to make" and so it is the one that needs to be conjugated.
him - make me feel make you feel make him feel make him see red Make it better :) . praise him until he feels important.
Mohamed
Arabic, English