Seven
What does the last sentence mean? Down toward one end of the village, among the small houses, a dog complained about the cold and the loneliness. He raised his nose to his god and gave a long and fulsome accout of the state of the world as it applied to him. He was a practiced singer with a full bell throat and great versatility of range and control.
4
0
It is humorous. The writer is describing a dog baying or howling in a very dignified way, as if it were a trained singer or musician. I have not heard the word "bell throat" applied to a singer. It is the description of a brass instrument, the way a part of it tapers. I think the idea is that the dog is producing a very rich, full, loud sound. "Range" means that the dog can produce very low and very high notes--in other words, a very irritating sound, like a siren. "Control" I think means "breath control," meaning that the dog can keep making that loud sound continuously for a long time, before having to take a breath.
The dog is unhappy and howling. The writer says that the dog is a talented singer.
Seven