shuiguoying
Is the 'the elderly' equal to 'the old' and 'the elder?' And if the old is used as a subject, how do I choose the verb? Plural or single ?
Hi shuiguoying! I think you're asking about referring to all elderly people as a group, am I right? I would use the phrase "the elderly" and you would use a plural verb, e.g. "The elderly are at greater risk from the flu." Be careful, though. "The elderly" isn't always politically correct. I often see people write "Older ________." E.g. "Older Americans/New Yorkers/people/etc. are ...". You would still use a plural verb. Hope that helped!
Thanks a bunch .
Try an example of what you might mean? . And if the old is used as a subject, how do I choose the verb? Plural or single ? ? Is it recently made? No. It is old. Are they recently made? No. They are old. The elder brother is dashing. - just states he is the older of two. The old brother is stumbling - He is old, no longer young. . Be kind to the elderly. They have experience. (older people) . The "olds". Old teenager slang for the parents. . The elderly contribute to society in intangible ways. Old people contribute to society in intangible ways. <- less polite, but otherwise the same. . That elderly gentleman over there has been drinking. <- polite That old man over there has been drinking. <- infomral . The elder statesman - the top position of some hierachy.
They are not really equal.If you refer to a car it would be "the old car".If you referred to a person "The elderly gentleman" would be a more appropriate choice.It would help if you gave the context.