emar
Responding by using likely or definitely. I wonder if I can response to someone's idea by saying .yeah likely / or yeah definitely Ex These years prices have skyrocketed to unprecedented levels . Yeah definitely Next year temperatures will go down Yeah likely I have not heard native speakers using it , but I feel like using it myself. Thank you
4
0
It's informal in use and to be honest, I've only said it when I was too lazy to give a proper response or just wanted the conversation over. It's not really an answer a lot of people would be pleased with unless that is the nature of the conversation you're having.
Sure can. Go for it. BTW, These years prices have skyrocketed to unprecedented levels . This one is a little strange, do you mean something like In recent years prices have skyrocketed to unprecedented levels .
Yes but do not make a habit of answering every question like that. Or conducting every conversation in such a negative CLOSED manner. learn to respond so that you are encouraging the other person to respond back. These years prices have skyrocketed to unprecedented levels . Yeah they sure have it''s getting hard to pay for the essentials. don't you think. "-- ---- -------- -' <- this is the gap you have left for the other person to join in. Next year temperatures will go down Yeah likely they will according to the experts, did you see that program about global warming last night? "here the other person can say no or yes or tell me about it, or go onto another subject"
We use 'likely' when we are not sure. If someone tells you , "Next year temperatures will go down" here we can not be sure about future because it's not definite that temperature will surely go down, it can even rise. So here you can answer as, "Yeah likely" Whereas in the sentences where the event has already happened for example," These years prices have skyrocketed to unprecedented levels " here you can answer as " yeah definitely" because there is no doubt. ( Also there is another mistake in the first sentence of your question. It should be - I wonder if I could* respond* to someone's..." : )
emar