Tâm
Can you help me? I want to talk about things, persons, ideas (about time, not location) that have already been talked about or are already known, and they are not here at this time, I don't know them is close to speaker or not close to speaker, so can I use the word "This, That, These, Those" as the follow conversations: 1. Am I correct if I can't see this pen at this time and can I use the word "that"? A: I have a nice pen. B: Is this pen a pencil? A: Yes, this pen is a pencil. 2. Am I correct and can I use the word "that"? A: I've just got a present. B: Is this present a pen? A: Yes, this present is a pen. 3. On the phone, am I correct and can I use the word "that"? A: I'm skating with some people. B: Are these people profesional skaters? A: Yes, these people are profesional skaters 4. Am I correct if this person is not here at this time and can I use the word "that"? A: I have a friend who can sing very well! B: Is this person a singer? A: Yes, this person is a singer. Thank you!
4
0
You don't need to use "this" or "that" in any of your examples. You use "this" or "that" to distinguish something from other things, e.g. "Not just any of the pens, but this one." In all your examples, your opening line has already made it clear which pen, present, people or friend is being talked about, so the lines that follow can just use words like "it", "they" and he or she. The sentences could still be grammatically correct if you use "this" or "that", but they will not sound very natural.
Tâm
English, Vietnamese