Maggie
questions "You'll be fine," Watson said, and offered Jack his hand. Jack shook it. Watson turned to Wendy and inclined his head. "Ma'am," he said. "I'm pleased," Wendy said, and thought it would sound absurd. It didn't. She had come out here from New England, where she had spent her life, and it seemed to her that in a few short sentences this man Watson, with his fluffy fringe of hair, had epitomized what the West was supposed to be all about. "Young master Torrance," Watson said gravely, and put out his hand. Danny, who had known all about handshaking for almost a year now, put his own hand out gingerly and felt it swallowed up. "You take good care of em, Dan." Q 1: What’s the meaning of ‘I’m pleased’? ( I’m pleased to meet you? OR something else? ) Q 2: What’s the meaning of ‘she had come out here?’ Q 3: What does ‘the West’ refer to? And what’s the meaning of ‘be all about?’ Q 4: "You take good care of em, Dan." --- them == his parents? OR something else?
Q 1: What’s the meaning of ‘I’m pleased’? ( I’m pleased to meet you? OR something else? ) - I'm not sure. It could be a colloquial form of 'pleased to meet you', but I think it probably means "I'm pleased that Jack will be fine." Q 2: What’s the meaning of ‘she had come out here?’ - She had left one place and travelled to another far away. You could remove the word 'out' and the sentence would still make sense. 'to come out' as a phrasal adds the idea of a long distance (Note: 'to come out' has many different meanings in different contexts) Q 3: What does ‘the West’ refer to? And what’s the meaning of ‘be all about?’ - 'the West' is the name for the westernmost states of the US. But, historically it was also the frontier region during the period when Europeans were gradually settling the western parts of the US. Therefore the exact region covered by the term 'the West' changed over time, but it was always considered less civilised than the Eastern states - and was also known as 'the Wild West'. Which may be significant in this case. 'to be all about' - means how you would summarise something, so for example you could say "For many English tourists a visit to Beijing is all about experiencing the difference between Western and Oriental culture." or maybe "The Shining is all about supernatural events taking place in a hotel." or perhaps "It is all about a man losing his mind when he goes to live in an isolated place." :-)