Pelin
Is this sentece natural? Or, how do you say it? I am waiting for you by standing and you are too late. If I say; I heve been a picket / a tree waiting of you.And this; I've been out here for centuries.
2
0
In English it is "I have been waiting for ages" "I have been here for ages" {bir ağaç oldum deyim} does not translate into English no one will understand what you mean if you say. "I have become a tree" they will not make the connection with taking root. However we do have a saying "I have taken root" which is similar and still understood by some people. "I have been here so long I have taken root" will be understood. A literal word for word translation of the Turkish Idiom into. "I have become a tree" people will not automatically make the connection. That you are implying they are late you have been "waiting for ages"
'I've been out here for centuries.' Would be a way to exaggerate about how long it's taken to wait, 'I've been waiting forever' or 'I've been waiting for days' would be similar ways to communicate a wait that's taken a great deal of time. The tree sentence could be rephrased to 'I've put down roots waiting for you'
Pelin
English, Turkish