Name for heating element - for native US/UK speakers What do you call, in your respective country, one of the flat round heating elements that you see on the electric range in the picture below? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_stove#/media/File:Electric_stove.jpg Thanks for your help!
Sep 1, 2018 11:39 AM
Answers · 16
Bill is right, although my mother still called them burners.
September 1, 2018
We call them Hot Plates
September 1, 2018
Hi! I call them burners. "Watch out, the oven is on and the burners are hot!"
September 1, 2018
Hello Mikkel, Interesting question! Australian English = hotplate ( I live in the UK and interestingly British people also use this word, but when they use it, they are usually speaking about a hotplate that you can move very easily). Hope that helps! Best Regards, Edwina https://www.italki.com/edwinateacher
September 1, 2018
I'm a US native speaker. I would describe it this way: "This is an electric stove with four burners. The part of the burner that gets hot is the heating element. The stove is designed so that you can remove the heating element easily to clean underneath it." A brand name for a common kind of heating element is "Calrod" and I have sometimes heard heating elements referred to as "calrods." To me, a "hotplate" is a small portable electric device with either one or two burners. For example, "Because of safety issues, hotplates are strictly forbidden in the student dormitory."
September 1, 2018
Show more
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!